Search This Blog

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Tech Thingy #15: Things Like Skype

Skype is a web tools that must be downloaded to use.  Once you have downloaded the program and registered, contacts may be added manually or imported from various social networking sites.  All this happens with just a few clicks of the mouse.

A tool such as this can be used in the classroom or library setting to talk to experts from around the world.  It has free computer to computer calling, but land lines may be accessed for a nominal fee.  

I remember when I first started teaching years ago, I used Skype to contact parents from my classroom.  All I needed were a pair of headphones with a mic.  Unsuspecting parents would pick of the phone because there were a series of 9's that appeared in the caller ID.  Students' behavior was instantly curbed because they could not believe I could call home from my computer.

1 comment:

  1. ARen;t you smart. Pretty sneaky to use Skype instead of school phone number. I would think it might be wonderful way to contact science experts and allow students to ask questions.

    ReplyDelete